Particle Acceleration, Light Sources
Thomson Broadcast supplies RF amplifier systems and voltage-regulated DC power supplies for large-scale research projects involved in particle acceleration. Intense, tightly focused beams of X-rays, ultraviolet radiation, and infrared light can penetrate deep inside matter, allowing scientists to investigate the world around us at atomic scale.
In electromagnetic cavities, electrons are energized to almost the speed of light by special RF amplifiers, typically in the range of 50-350 kW. Thomson RF amplifier systems and high voltage power supplies are especially suited for such applications due to their reliability, accuracy, efficiency, and long lifetimes.
Thomson Broadcast is part of projects involving both 3rd and 4th Generation Light Sources. 3LGS facilities produce “synchrotron light,” accelerating elementary particles inside a roughly circular machine. 4GLS facilities create brightness up to one billion times greater than that of ordinary synchrotron light.
Thomson Broadcast is supplying major light source facilities as Canadian Light Source (CLS), Diamond Light Source Ltd. in the UK (DLS), Australian Synchrotron (via Danfysik), and ALBA CELLS in Spain.
- High flexibility for pulsed systems thanks to modulation capability and pre-correction of output voltage
- High reliability based on consequent system redundancy with excellent mean time between failures (MTBF)
- Low mean time to repair (MTTR) with short and simple maintenance thanks to modular design
- Ease of operation
- Fast supervision and enhanced protection techniques
- Open for use in pulsed or continuous wave operation
- Optimal adjustment of working point with continuously adaptable regulated output voltages of any power supply
- Control systems are adaptable to specific site requirements (SPS, EPICS, TINE, etc.)
- Turnkey capability